If you are coming from a Commonwealth country you are entitled to stay in Dominica for up to six months. Thereafter you will need a residence permit.

You will need to show that you are in good health, have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and your family and have no criminal record. You will also be required to state your reasons for wanting to settle here.

You will need the following:

  1. Application forms completed in duplicate from Ministry of Immigration and Labour, Government Headquarters Roseau.
  2. Birth Certificate.
  3. Two passport size photographs.
  4. Medical report including HIV report. This cannot predate the application by more than three months and must be on the specified form.
  5. A statement of financial position from a reputable banker.
  6. Two references including one from your employer.
  7. Marriage certificate.
  8. Proof that you have a return ticket to your normal place of residence.

If you need to apply for a work permit essentially you will need to show that you will not be taking a job from a local person – in other words you will need to show how you will be benefiting the country.

E.g will you be able to employ other persons; have you special skills.

A fee of EC$800 has to accompany the application for non-nationals.

If you are going into paid employment your prospective employer will have to advertise the job three times and show that there are no suitable applicants.

Residence is normally for a year at a time. It is possible thereafter to apply for permanent residence and citizenship in 5 years if you are from a Commonwealth country or 7 years in other cases.

For forms and further information contact:
The Ministry of Immigration and Labour,
Government Headquarters, Roseau, Dominica
Tel (767) 448 2401.

This is a general number so be prepared to wait.

Compare listings